Tomorrow I start my second week as a Special Education Aide. It seems like my cubicle life was ages ago and I’m very grateful for the opportunity. I get to work with a resource teacher and learn from her (and she is pretty fabulous I must say). And let’s face it, if I had tried to be the teacher, since I have no experience I would more than likely fall flat on my face. This line of work has been more satisfying in one week than two years in corporate America were.
Things that rock:
1. Kids think I’m cool for some reason
2. I get to figure out simpler ways to show a child a lesson, one on one
3. I sit in on different grade levels, different subjects, I have an opportunity to witness teaching styles of many teachers with many subjcts
4. Packing a lunch. After eating “to go” orders for two year, having some cheese and crackers and a side of fruit makes me smile
5. Kids do what I say. Kids I don’t even know do what I say, BECAUSE I AM AN ADULT – who knew?
6. My school’s mascot is Sharks
7. Since I’m not actually the teacher (YET) I get to leave at 3:3o
P.S. A big THANKS to April and her mom for the glorious “connections”